The streets of the medieval and Renaissance Old Town have changed little over the centuries.
The narrow winding roads of this quarter are immediately recognisable on the town map, set between Place Carnot to the west, the Pépinière garden to the east and the 18th century quarters to the south.
Consisting of interweaving alleyways, small squares and narrow streets lined with tall houses decorated with carved pediments and mullioned windows, the Old Town extends around the Ducal Place, a remarkable building constructed by René II, after his victory over Charles the Bold in 1477.
The small, inviting shops and cafés that line the paved streets make it a delightful area for a stroll.
The 14th-century Porte de la Craffe stands imposingly at the end of the Grand Rue which, lined with restaurants, independent shops, spice-sellers and local businesses, forms the backbone of the Old Town.
The Old Town is far from just a tourist site – it is popular area to live, socialise and do business and offers a genuine melting pot of social classes that is particularly popular among students.
With its Sunday market, flea-markets, small businesses and terraced cafés, the quarter is always full of life.
To find out more about the history of Lorraine and its fabulous artistic heritage visit the Lorraine Museum (particularly the Callot and Georges de la Tour rooms). It is housed in the buildings of the Ducal Palace, the convent and the Eglise des Cordeliers, a church with an octagonal chapel of Florentine Renaissance inspiration, built as the tomb of the Dukes of Lorraine.
A stone’s throw from Place Stanislas there are a number of 3- and 4-star hotels housed in beautiful historic buildings as well as a number of lovely maisons d’hôtes (guesthouses).