The Duke’s Palace, built in the 15th century, was originally the residence of the Dukes of Lorraine. Abandoned by Duke Leopold, who moved to Lunéville in the 18th century, it had a somewhat chequered history before becoming the Lorraine Museum in 1848. It has a remarkable gatehouse, inspired by that in Blois, combining elegant Gothic art with that of the Italian Renaissance.
The building of the Dukes' Palace began in 1502. All that remains nowadays of the residence of the Dukes of Lorraine are the wing on Grande-Rue and the Porterie (the gateway) the latter, modelled on the one in Blois, combines flamboyant Gothic and Renaissance styles. It includes a niche with an equestrian statue of Duke Antoine -the restoration of the original group was destroyed during the French Revolution.
The palace was destroyed in part and redesigned by Boffrand during the reign of Leopold and then turned into stables by Stanislas. Part of it was occupied by the police during the 19th century before being converted into a museum by the "Société d'Archéologie de Lorraine" at the end of the century.
After a fire in 18th century, it was restored once again, but although its appearance was slightly modified it regained its original mullioned windows, high sloping roofs, and gargoyles. It became the Lorraine Museum in 1937.